Sunday 29 April 2012



One night, walking home on Skye... Terrifying nocturnal encounters #1




"The road leading up to the house where I used to live on Skye was a small single track that passed across a burn forming a natural dip in the landscape. We often had problems with the area of this dip - a feeling of unnatural sensation, which was backed up at times by the behaviour of the animals we owned. When riding horses down there, we often found they would refuse to pass this particular point, and the dogs would react with apprehension. At night, the dogs would bark into the darkness in the direction of this area, and one night we were kept awake by a cat screaming in terror from the roof of the barn next door.

On the night of my experience, I was wandering home late from a neighbour's house. It was very dark, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. As I entered the dip I suddenly started to feel that I was not alone. There was what I can only describe as feeling as though a large predatory being was stalking me. Primordial fear took over - for the first time in my lif I felt as though I was prey.  I took off like a  jackrabbit, running for my life.

Interestingly enough, I was talking to the daughter of the neighbour I had been visiting a few day's later. I didn't tell her my story, but mentioned that we'd been having problems taking our horses down the dip in the road. She recited having had exactly the same experience previously.

Let's just say... I didn't walk down there late at night again."

No comments:

Post a Comment